Monday, May 31, 2010

Week 3 Omar

Hey, my project's going pretty well. I submitted my completed remix for Kaskade's Dynasty, which can be found here on Beatportal (or here on Soundcloud if you would like to comment on it) and is open to be voted for from June 1-June 15 for Beatportal's contest! (You need to register for an account at Beatport.com to vote). I am continuing work on my other, more experimental project of mutilating sounds. Not quite done yet, but I'll post progress on that one later. I'll be playing some of my music both at the project presentation, and at Coffeehouse that night. Sweet :)

I've definitely taken a lot out of the project--regardless of how that remix does (it's style is much different than I normally do) I feel like I have a new creative technique under my belt to exploit, and I've gained a lot of perspective in why I make music--not just to have funky beats that everyone can dance to, but to explore interesting concepts as well. My prior works weren't necessarily that extraordinary or experimental, but they latched onto themes and melodies that contained irregularities, dissonant chords, and twisted melodies that kept people interested. The usual banging dance tracks aren't cutting it for me anymore--I'm seriously thinking about the stuff I listen to much more now, and so my interests within this month have shifted toward much more minimal styles than I ever had before. (Existentialism and Maleficence are the two pieces I did at the start of project that exemplify my workflow before project started--well produced, and with some interesting ideas, but not necessarily uniformly interesting or shockingly fresh. I'll probably move toward more conventional styles after the project, but I'll incorporate more interesting and intelligent ideas in my future work. This project doesn't just end now--it's going to be ongoing, perhaps for many, many years to come :))

No comments:

Post a Comment