Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Zack Lawrence (Week 2 with Cavs)

My second week with the Cavs was spent in accounting. When I first came in, the accountants that work for the Cavs didn’t really know what to do with me, so they sent me to spend some time with each individual member of the accounting team. So I spent a little time with each person. Some had little tasks for me to do, while others didn’t really know what to do so they just explained what they do and sent me to someone else. After I learned about each job, they put me to work. First I was sent to the file room. I spent almost an entire day in that room. It was simple, and mindless work but someone has to do it in order to keep accurate records. Then the next day (Wednesday) starting in the afternoon I was taught how to do a journal entry. Journal entries are made at the beginning of each month in order to close out the previous months accounts. So when I came in on Thursday, they felt I had gotten a pretty good grasp of the task, so they gave me a lot more journal entries to compute. Surprise, surprise, I got to do some more on Friday (even after the Cavs lost).

I found it very interested how many times documents are checked over for accuracy. In this business every number must add up perfectly, or else you start from scratch. My experience in Accounting taught me many lessons that I can carry with me throughout my life in the business world. However the biggest lesson I learned is that accounting just isn’t for me. It involves a lot of tedious work, and it really just didn’t interest me that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment