Monday, May 17, 2010

Week 2 Omar

So this week I continued listening to crazy experimental music. Here's one that I particularly like:


Tim Hecker - Song of the Highwire Shrimper

In terms of affective elements of this song, I felt the pseudo-haphazard repetitious piano and the texture formed by the faint voices in the background gave off a feeling of content, intellectual stumbling as well as the feeling of a shortwave radio, where frequencies mix and blend... it's really immersive.

I also started on making two pieces: one experimental one, and one commercial/dance piece. The experimental one is currently based off of a heavily edited sample of cutting cardboard with scissors that I recorded (here's a short tidbit of it: http://rockandfire.biz/experiment.mp3), and the mainstream track will be a remix of Dynasty by Kaskade for Beatportal's/Ultra Records's remix contest (I think the chances of me getting my work into the hands of Kaskade, a producer who recently made the top 5 in the iTunes charts, is actually fairly high in this circumstance so long as I can make a good remix by June 1) [Here's a link for my work on that so far (it's still in early phases so it may change a bunch later. but i really like the sound now!): http://rockandfire.biz/minimal%20kaskade%20dynasty.mp3]. So until later, keep your eyes peeled ;)

1 comment: