Sunday, May 9, 2010

Week 1 (Elizabeth)

For my project, Chelsea Mihelich and I are working with Mrs. Hermann and her event planning company, Ghostlight Productions, LLC (ghostlightllc.com). The first week was a ton of fun! These next few weeks will definitely be filled with activity because Mrs. Hermann is a very busy lady. She is working on a few different projects at once, and she plans on taking us with her wherever she goes.

We had a great first day with her on Monday because we managed to get a free lunch at Hyde Park Restaurant in downtown Cleveland (an upscale steakhouse that is very pricey). We managed to pull this off because Mrs. Hermann plans on using the facility next to the restaurant, The Van Sweringen Arcade, for an event in November. Hyde Park provides the food for all events in the arcade, so to help win over Mrs. Hermann, we all enjoyed a tasty lunch. The Arcade is a beautiful facility, and Mrs. Hermann does great lighting and decorations, so I’m sure it will look amazing for the event.

My favorite activity we did this week was starting a proposal for an event for MetroHealth hospital to be held in October 2011. The theme for the fundraiser is the four seasons, so Chelsea and I brainstormed what each of the four areas in the tent would look like. We came up with lots of ideas for decorations, entertainment, etc, some of which include ice sculptures, giant snowflakes, flower garlands, Chinese lanterns, and bamboo shoots.

Other activities we did this week included attending an ISES meeting (International Special Events Society), visiting a rental warehouse, Event Source, and helping to set up for a fundraiser at Vocational Guidance Services.

3 comments:

  1. Liz, wow it sounds like you and Chelsea are having a blast! I can't believe how far in advance you are planning the MetroHealth event. I'm sure it will turn out great--the ice sculptures and Chinese lantern decorations is a really neat idea. I can't wait to hear more about this event!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of your ideas for the MetroHealth event and think its awesome that you and Chelsea get to help come up with the ideas for an event and are really helping Mrs. Hermann with her business. I have to say I'm very jealous you guys got a free lunch at Hyde Park... I'm sure its much better that the food at the hospital cafeteria that I'm eating :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its obvious that having her Mrs. Hermann as a contact can get you some pretty awesome things! The thing that I think is the coolest part of your project is that you are beginning the planning of an event so far in the future. Your brainstorming is only the beginning of so much more work to come.

    ReplyDelete